Founder and director of Ohnaka & Associates, Yuko has been a Japanese interpreter and translator since 1988, a cross-cultural business consultant and reporter since 1993, and a Japanese copy editor and writer since 1996. She trained extensively at prominent firms, including MetLife, AIG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Hay Group. Born and raised in Tokyo and living in New York since college, she has a solid bicultural background that helps her understand the complex communications issues that her clients face in their business, legal, and personal dealings. In addition to her decades of experience in global business, her wide-ranging interests as an avid reader and classically trained musician help her to produce creative, customized solutions for the unique needs of her clients, who are located on three continents. She founded Ohnaka & Associates in 2005 to better serve the growing needs of her clients.
Areas of Focus
- Corporate Communications
- Pharmaceutical Development
- Health Care
- Legal Proceedings
- Arts & Entertainment
- Fashion & Cosmetics
Previous Long-term Engagements
- Consultant, Barrack, Rodos & Bacine (2006-2007)
- Translator, Time Inc. (2002-2003)
- Consultant, Merrill Lynch Global Operations Headquarters
- Senior Editor, YAR Communications, Inc. (1996-1998)
Previous Interviews and Interpreting Engagements
- Emiko Okuyama (Mayor of Sendai, Japan, 2014)
- Bret Stephens (Pulitzer Prize Journalist, 2013)
- Akira Morikawa (CEO, LINE Corporation, 2013)
- Jun Kitada (President and Publisher, Condé Nast Japan, 2011)
- Masafumi Suzuki (Editor-in Chief, GQ Japan, 2011)
- Ryu Matsumoto (Environmental Minister of Japan, 2010)
- Sakihito Ozawa (Environmental Minister of Japan, 2009)
- Robert Henrikson (President and CEO, MetLife, 2009)
- William Nuti (Chairperson and CEO, NCR, 2009)
- Paul Krugman (Nobel Prize Economist, 2008)
- Kazuo Inamori (Chairman Emeritus, Kyocera, 2008)
- Tadatoshi Akiba (Mayor of Hiroshima, 2008)
- Motoatsu Sakurai (Consul General of Japan, 2008)
- Ralph Lauren (President and CEO, Polo Ralph Lauren, 2007)
- Shigetaka Komori (President and CEO, Fujifilm, 2004)
- Stuart Varney (Journalist, 2004)
- Amon Miyamoto (Theater Director, Pacific Overtures, 2003)
- Roy, Arundhati. “War Is Peace.” Sekai, January 2002, 115–122.
- Roy, Arundhati. “The Algebra of Infinite Justice.” Sekai, December 2001, 103–111.
- Ghosh, Amitav. “Open Letter to Commonwealth Writers Prize Administrator.” New York, 2001.
- American Translators Association (ATA)
- National Association of Judiciary Interpreters
and Translators (NAJIT)
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA)
- B.F.A. in music, State University of New York at Purchase
- Diploma in guitar, Manhattan School of Music
© Ohnaka & Associates, Inc.